Sunday, July 20, 2008

Urban Art

In Oaxaca i have been taking pictures of graffiti. everyday here there is new graffiti and some graffiti painted over. Below is pictures of two graffiti pieces on the street. the second picture is a stencil of canttin flas, who was the Charlie Chaplin of mexico. The first picture after that is me with my spray paint stencil. I would like to thank my friend Tim who sent me a picture of my print and suggested that i make a stencil. the second picture is a new thing that i just learned how to do called dry point. it involves taking a image and using a sharp metal tool to etch it on to a plastic plate. Then you put ink on it and print it. the picture that etched is from the newspaper of two boys , one has a sling shot. you can click on it to make it bigger. check out oaxacatimes.com for an article on graffiti.



Pictures taken by Sebastian and Karen

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Very cool, Seb!

(Speaking of cool, I hope you and your mom are cooler than we are these days ...)

Anonymous said...

Sebastian!

Your dry point prints are wonderful.

And your spray paint stencils turned out amazingly well.

I am so proud of you, I could bust. ;o)

I'll have to look for a Cantinflas film for you to see. He is best known in the U.S. in the role of "Passepartout" in the epic film "Around the World in 80 Days" (released the year I was born, in fact!). But his best work was definitely in Spanish.

When you get back to Philadelphia, we're takin' your stencils and some spray paint to City Hall late at night, and we are going to town! Heh heh.

--Tim