Monday, July 14, 2008

Busy Weekend...Part Two





Sunday we went to Tlacolula, a village about 30 minutes outside of Oaxaca.Sunday is their market day and our favorite because it s also the day for barbacoa de chivo (goat BBQ- yummers!!) My joke to Sebastian , as we were eating our tacos de chivo,was "Chivo,the other white meat"...
The mercado is a collision of all worlds: pirated DVD current movies, plastic EVERYTHING, Puma and other brand knock-offs alongside embroidered blouses,aprons,natural remedies,meszcal,chicken on the grill,fruits,vegetables and flowers! You can buy raw meat and use the public open grills in the center of the market.Sebastian commented that everyone was talking so fast, chirping like the pair of colibris (hummingbirds) that chatter outside of my bedroom here.The mercado is indeed colorful in sight,sound and smell!
The church here is known for it's chapel,one of my personal favorites.The small side chapel is filled with three dimensional depictions of saints in the act of their martyrdom- some are being boiled in oil, some have hatchets in the middle of their heads,some are being crucified upside down (to name just a few). There is a large oil painting of San Sebastian which, of course, I love!
Always Fernando and Sebastian sit in the courtyard and eat nieves de limon (lime water ice) while I go into the chapel and light a candle.

Fernando bought a video camera and Sebastian is making a video of his travels.However, it appears that it is really turning into a video about the graffiti here.On the way to Tlacolula, we walked up to the road by a school and stadium that has several streets totally lined with graffiti.Now, even I am taking photos of it!Below are some of my graffiti photos, including a pole plastered with an advert for a Lucha Libre match and reflections in the school building.
Fernando and Sebastian are hard at working,getting the right shot...





2 comments:

Tim C said...

My, your photos are turning out particularly well on this trip. Each one is worth a thousand words. (Yes, I just now invented that saying.)

I suppose your visit is now at its half-way point, so let's hope for many more exciting adventures in the coming weeks.

Keep those blog posts coming!

--Tim

carol said...

Oh my- it all is so very beautiful! I loved your rug, you should be quite proud of yourself and hang it right next to your Master's Degree!! My summer is much quieter than yours but.. enjoyable just the same. xo, sis