Saturday, July 26, 2008

Filemon Santiago


Thursday evening Sebastian and I went out to San Felipe del Agua - a village about 20 minutes outside of Oaxaca.This is where we used to live when Sebastian was little- I had my cafe there and met my dear friend Laura and her husband Joaquin and son, Adrian.I had quite a lot of adventures there!San Felipe's population is divided between foreigners married to Mexicans living in big houses and campesinos (farmers) whose families have lived there for generations.
Filemon Santiago and I met when I was pregnant and living in downtown Oaxaca.He and our New York artist friend,Jerri Allyn,were the ones who took me to the hospital in his red jeep when I went into labor. They stayed at the hospital until after Sebastian was born and were the first people, aside from Fernando, to see him.So,we have this special bond for life.
I had spoken with Filemon on the phone over the years but hadn't seen him or met his wife and three boys.He was anxious to see Sebastian on this trip.
Filemon is also a painter and went to a school for art founded by Rufino Tamayo.At heart, he is still the boy from his ranch in the mountains.As a matter of fact, they had just gotten back from planting corn and beans up there.
During our visit,we were careful to wait until his wife was occupied with the boys before we took a stroll down "memory lane" and exchanged a bit of chisme(gossip).With three young boys ages 3,5, and 7, the house is lively!
On our way out,we stopped into his studio.I commented that I had never seen it so organized and that the large painting on the easel that he was working on was lighter in color and feeling than anything I had seen him do in a very long time.
I knew that this was an indication that he is truly content .

1 comment:

Tim C said...

Wow! You guys are certainly packing a lot of activities into your final week in Oaxaca!

It's nice to see pictures of Filemon and family, since we have been hearing stories about him for years -- all good ones, of course.

The paper studio looked fascinating. There are fewer things more intensely satisfying to see than handmade papers.

Thanks for the continuing posts on your blog -- they have all been very fascinating.

--Tim